So after seeing some new investigation around the pollution caused by the fashion industry, which is quite alarming, I decided to change my habits and also communicating on it in order to make more fashionistas like me, aware and careful!
If we start first to reduce our consumption of fast fashion brands which are producing so much that the result for the planet in terms of water, carbon pollution and human rights abuses is frightening.
I realized claiming that , that it means I will have to buy less of course but also better. And better doesn’t mean I will go only to Chanel or Dior please! It means we have to find alternative which are cool and fashionable but also sustainable.
Here is my best list of COOL, affordable and SUSTAINABLE brands:
- Veja the Parisian sneaker brand, has proudly used exclusively fair trade, organic, raw materials since day one
- Everlane for cashmere, tees and cool jeans
- Sunad for their shirts, 100% made of natural fibres
- Reformation which is a brand I always loved and great news: it’s sustainable!
- Monsoon which has a nice assortment and supports a programme to help Indian cotton farmers to convert to organic production
- Chinti and Parker for the best and funky sweaters
- Beyond skin for vegan shoes
Here is a small selection:
I have to specify as well that some brands are doing some progress, for example H&M group is launching this year his sustainability report and aiming to be by 2030 using only recycled or other sustainability sourced materials and by 2040 it wants to be 100% climate positive. With H&M Conscious collection, & other stories and COS, some lines are being acceptable.
Besides another way to consume less and better is to favored vintage or exchanging used clothes.
For that here are my tips:
- Rental clothing: La Garde Robe in Geneva or C’est ma robe in Paris for example, that allows you to have different dresses for every occasion without buying new clothes.
- Vide dressing: Allows you to find new treasure in someone else closet
- Vintage/ Second hand shopping: for example I love going in vintage store in Paris or London to find unique pieces and specially now with the 90’s trend. Then also Vestiaire Collective or Vinted are cool applications where you can find good brands at very interesting prices.